Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dogs and Babies...

So... for those who know me and BJ well, you will be a bit confused by the title to this post, because we are not what you would call, "Dog People".  Let's be honest, we are not what you would even call, "Animal People".  We always sheepishly say this with bowed head, knowing that we are ostracizing about 90% of the population, but, hey... I like to live dangerously.

I am not much of a dog person, but living in Austin, Texas, I have been exposed to an overabundance of Dog Parks.  Dog Parks are an interesting phenomenon.. you can smell them at 50 paces, especially during the summer when most Austin Dog Parks are a dust bowl of dirt mixed with a large amount of doggie doodie... lovely!!

So many of you will cringe when I compare my experiences in the Nursing Room at church with the local dog park.  But, believe me... they are similar.

Dog Parks & Nursing Rooms:
  • Both created to allow freedom:  Dogs can run freely and mothers can nurse in privacy
  • Owners/Parents all have very strong opinions on rearing:  They LOVE to share them openly and without prompting
  • Uniquely outfitted for the demographic:  Fences and dog toys/ rocking chairs and pillows
  • Conversation only revolves around the dogs/kids: Never once is there a depth of interest into the adult's life.
  • Isolated from the rest of society:  Corralled to a specific area like a pariah 
  • Adults know each other's dogs/kids names but not each other's:  The dogs/ kids are friends, but heaven forbid the owners/parents have any real conversation. 
  • No identity of their own: Always known as "Rover's Owner" or "Heidi's Mom"
Don't get me wrong... the nursing mother's room is a wonderful gift.  It allows me to still be in community and be able to slip away and feed Colton when I need the privacy.  I just wonder at the accepted culture of the environment. 

It all hit me the first couple of times I was in the room... women came in and out to do their "business" without so much as a real conversation or any real interaction.  It mimics the interaction on an elevator... a means to an end, not a catalyst for community.

Just a thought....FYI:  I don't like the term "Nursing Mother's Room".  I think is sounds too formal.  Let's just call it what it is:
  • Boob Room
  • Mammary Lane
  • Milk Duct Den
  • Suckling Center
  • Lactating Land
  • Nursing Niche 
Just a thought..... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment