Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Normal Emotional v. Crazy Emotional

When my husband and I got married, I invited him on a lifelong trip on the seas of my emotions.  Sometimes, it is a pleasure cruise.... the sun is shining and birds are pulling a Mary Poppins and singing in harmony.  Other times, it is a tsunami of tears and anxiety tossing the S.S. BJ from wave to wave.  Let's put it this way... there is never a dull moment in the Estroland.  Unfortunately for my precious husband, pregnancy and motherhood has made this trip a little more bumpy than normal.

Here is an example of a little "pleasure cruise" we went on last week...

My mother was cooking a birthday dinner for me and I had just put my darling son down for a nap when I called to ask when we should come over.  Are you ready to enter my stream on consciousness?

  • My mom said to come over NOW (anxiety level 1:  should I disappoint my mom and be late or wake my son?)
  • My grandpa and his girlfriend were invited to the dinner (anxiety level 2: now I can possibly disappoint a 90 year old man by being late)
  • We arrive late and everyone has eaten but my dad (anxiety level 3: great, happy birthday to me)
  • My son starts wailing (anxiety level 4:  I am a terrible mom and can't control my child)
  • I am holding back tears while eating my burritos (anxiety level 5: everyone will think I am nuts)
  • I end up sitting on the kitchen floor sobbing while my parents and grandpa watch a documentary about death with the volume level set to a billion, cause they are all deaf (anxiety level 5: I am nuts)
I now have to ask myself, am I acting Normal Emotional or Crazy Emotional?  Here is the litmus test:
  • Normal Emotional:  You drown your sorrows in a pint of Ben & Jerry's and watch Sense and Sensibility.
  • Crazy Emotional:  You cry your eyes out on the floor of your mother's kitchen on your birthday.
New Baby+ Normal Emotional = Crazy Emotional

No comments:

Post a Comment