Monday, December 20, 2010

Naptime.... ha ha ha..

My sleeping angel at 2 weeks
Like any new mother, I have been pouring over books to find the best strategies for helping my little man sleep better.  I mean, you've got to be prepared...  like any good soldier, I have to go into battle with a game plan.  I am completely armed and ready for war...

Black out shades for the nursery....... check
White noise sound machine.........check
Humidifier..... check
Latest book by the latest sleep expert.... check

Armed to the hilt with my arsenal of materials, my child should drift peacefully into slumber, right?  Are you kidding me?  These books tell you step by step instructions with testimonials from parents who "did it right".  These are guaranteed, fool proof methods for perfect baby sleep habits.  Well, then where did I go wrong.

I must not know how to read or these "experts" are liars, because last night at a friends party, there was a room for the babies to sleep in.  On the floor lined up neatly in their car seat carriers were our other friends' babies.  They were sleeping quietly like little angels with a few whimpers here and there.  If they woke up, they would simply coo themselves peacefully back to dream land. 

Meanwhile, my son is flailing on the bed making slurping noises and laughing at me as I attempt to soothe him into a slumber.  I think I am home free, but as I walk away.... wailing begins.  When I come back to soothe him, he giggles and laughs at me.   For about an hour  I perform a rendition of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee" in my stiletto boots running back in forth between the party and "nursery" room hoping my darling does not wake the sleeping angels.  When I finally got back to the party... those two glasses of wine never tasted better...


Note to all moms:  If your child goes to sleep easily or sleeps without night wakings.... don't tell anyone, and if someone asks you, lie.  You want to keep your friends, right?

4 comments:

  1. You crack me up . . . and make me feel normal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree - if your kid sleeps well, keep it to yourself. My first still fights sleep. My second . . . I will keep to myself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and this is Milaka!

    ReplyDelete