Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sleeping Bootcamp

Bootcamp seems to be the new "buzz" word floating around.  There are butt bootcamps, ab bootcamps, running bootcamps.... you name it... there is a bootcamp to whip it into shape.  But what is the common factor in all the bootcamps.... someone telling you what to do.

And I totally understand why.  I would say that I am a pretty active person.  I love to stay fit and keep a healthy body, but how many times have I put on the work out clothes and never actually made it to the gym?  And how many times have I started out running and halfway through began to walk.  I have been doing the same 3 mile loop around Town Lake (Excuse me... Ladybird Lake) since I was 13 (that is twenty years!!!) and have never increased my pace or distance.  So I absolutely have no self motivation or will power when it gets too tough.

Same goes with sleep training my child.  I was giving in to every whimper, squeal, and sound.  I have to give a shout out to my Sleep Boot Camp instructors Gayle and Cat.  Instead of telling me how many reps to do, they would tell me how long to let him stay in his bed during nap time.  Instead of yelling to push me, they gave encouragement that I was a wonderful mother. 

My butt may not be rock hard (more like mushy oatmeal), but my kid is sleeping like a champ. 

3 comments:

  1. Way to go!! It's hard to tough out the crying, but sleep-training is totally worth it!! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how long should I let Rex stay in his bed at nap time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know the secret too! :)

    ReplyDelete